Particle size and shape can dramatically alter the physical and therapeutic properties of a substance. The solubility, stability, chemical reactivity, opacity, flowability and material strength of many materials are affected by the size and characteristics of the particles within them. With a Quanta Morphologi Scanning Electron Microscope , users will be able to create reference methods for quality control process design, perform automated particle analysis, obtain surface detail, and perform statistical analysis to more fully characterize particle size and shape distributions. The most important morphological parameters for differentiating a set of samples, such as good and bad sample batches, can be defined and subtle changes in a product or process can be readily identified.
Sub-micron particle visualization combined with statistical size and shape characterization.
Quanta Morphologi combines the magnification and resolving power of the FEI Quanta 200 FEG scanning electron microscope (SEM) with established particle analysis software from Malvern Instruments to provide a turn-key solution for particle characterization. As opposed to indirect particle size analysis techniques, which report equivalent spherical diameter, Quanta Morphologi is a direct method to report both size and shape information.
- Reference methods for QC method development
- Classify subtle changes in a product or process
- Seeing is believing: Images of individual particles available for inspection
- Statistically relevant data on particle size and shape with ability to view the actual image of statistical outliers
- Identify the most important morphological parameters for characterization of batch-to-batch variation
- Increase your imaging capabilities with high resolution high-, low- and extended low-vacuum on a wide range of sample types - from emulsions and suspensions to dry powders
- Minimize the amount of sample preparation of non-conductive and/or hydrated specimens
- Assured reproducibility - software-driven SOPs eliminate user variability and enable global method transfer
- Broad measuring range - measures materials from 100 nm - 2mm
- Flexibility - use the Quanta 200 FEG SEM for other imaging tasks in addition to particle characterization
The low-vacuum capability of FEI's Quanta SEMs offer users the flexibility to analyze materials without imposing many of the traditional SEM sample preparation constraints, thereby greatly extending the applicability for particle analysis. It is engineered to provide maximum data - imaging and microanalysis - from all specimens, with or without preparation.
For spherical particles, size is defined by the diameter. However, for irregularly shaped particles, characterization of particle size must also include information on the type of diameter measured as well as information on particle shape. Malvern Instrument's Morphologi software provides perfect complement to SEM imaging with advanced, dedicated image analysis software.